Friday, December 08, 2006

Lights in New Hampshire and, oh yes, that other thing that happened.


Well, here are our Christmas Lights. This will be the last year for the big colored lights from days of yore. They are very nostalgic and I love them for they remind me of my childhood, but they use up a lot of electricity. I took this picture tonight as I took the dogs out to pee. It was a might nippy out there, 14 degrees at 5:30 PM. Oh well, that's what Parkas are for. I was warm and toasty. We have a dusting of snow as you can see, so things are starting to look somewhat picturesque. A warming trend starts tomorrow and we should reach the low 40's this weekend.

The big lights were never on our house as a child, that I can remember. But when I was a small child, before we had the fake white tree with the rotating colored light wheel, the big colored bulbs (not exactly the same size as the outdoor lights, but the same color and same shape) were on the tree. And of course there were the wonderful bubble lights, - talk about using electricity. Those beautiful dream makers with bubbles circulating to the top were hot and dangerous. But no one cared, because they looked so magical. But progress can not be stopped and next year we will get LED lights and help reduce our footprint on the planet.

Now, on to that other thing. Let see, today is Friday, Thursday was the parents out of the hospital call, Wednesday was the 2nd part of the disaster and yes, it was Tuesday when all the fun began. Tuesday night we went to bed about 9:00 PM, we get up awfully early. I fell asleep fairly quickly, of course not in the 20 seconds it takes Tom to crash and snore. Nonetheless, I was asleep shortly and it felt good. At 11:00 I was awake. Have no idea, but there I was awake. Finally, I turned on the TV to occupy my brain and eventually I fell asleep again. This time, soundly. The next thing I know, I'm awake and Tom is wandering around the bedroom. It's 2:00 AM. Tom, Mr.-a-bomb-could-go-off-under-the-bed-and-he-would-not-even-stir was looking for a sound source.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"Trying to find out where that noise is coming from." Now normally I'm the one who has to investigate any noise of which I do not know the origin. Unknown sounds drive me to distraction. However, on this night, I was still coming out of some cozy rem sleep and I just said, "O.K." I hear him go down stairs and then down into the basement. The next thing I think I hear is him racing (that was my first clue, because Tom doesn't race anywhere) up the stairs and then silence. He has just pressed the Emergency Shut down switch to our Boiler. Now he has my attention.
"What in the world is going on?" I yell down as I am climbing over our bed and racing down the stairs.
"One of the pipes into our boiler has broken, or melted, (they're plastic) water is all over the basement floor, steam has filled the basement and the boiler is starting to over heat!
O.K. The situation is not good, but under control. The emergency switch worked, the boiler is off and all is safe. We will go back to bed and call the contractor (the boiler is still under warranty) first thing in the morning. However, there is one small problem, more like two small problems. First our hearts are still racing and we are not falling back to sleep and second the shut down means no heat, hot water or flusing toilets. We manage nonetheless and go to work that morning after our somewhat less than cordial call to the contractor at 6:00 AM. They were there at 7:00 fixing it while we were at work.

I got home around 5:00 PM. The mud room was at the set temperature , but the house felt cold, the up stairs bathroom was warm, but the rest of the upstairs was cold. The house was 58 degrees. Now we keep the house cool, so as not to use a lot of fuel. However this was ridiculus. I called the contractor again. " Please calll me and let me know why my house is so cold!"

Tom comes home, hears and feels the bad news, and waits to hear from the contractor. We start dinner. Suddenly, the smoke detectors go off throughout the house. Tom thinks they've come on erroneously, maybe the batteries are dead. He tries frantically to unhook them with no success. The pearcing, pearcing sound is driving me crazy, when it occurs to me that there might be a real problem. I open the door to the basement and I can't see the basement floor for the steam. The boiler is gone berswerk again!. Turn off the emergency switch again, Call the contractor again after we assured ourselves that everything was safe.

This time, the call was not even close to cordial. The last thing I remember is yelling "I AM UPSET!!!" Within 15 minutes the contractor and the plumber were here, worked for about two hours and solved all the problems. All is well now. We had a perfectly quiet night Wednesday and there have been no more problems. The good news was that the boiler did not actually overheat, all the safety system had kicked in, hence the release of steam and water into the basement. We were never in any real danger but we didn't know it at the time. Our cardboard boxes on the basement floor, however, were very nervous.

The last thing on Thursday was a call from Dayle (tom's sister) telling us that Roy (Tom's father) had been in the hospital and that Pat ("Tom's mother) is not able to remember and cope with the situation. After a long conversation it was decided that we need to be researching assisted living for them. It was a sad night for Dayle and Tom to know that their parents are now their dependent adults.

To say the least, We're hoping we can get through tonight without any unusual occurances. We're exhausted.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy everything turned out okay for the house. I don't think I would have believed that you weren't in any real danger. I would have thought for sure that any smoke detector going off would be a bad thing.

It must be a Brouse thing with the unknown noises, even awake if there is something making an undertiminable amount of distraction, I am on a MISSION!!

Sorry to hear about Roy and Pat, it is not easy to come to some realities.

I have a blog! I did it, it isn't much yet as I don't know what I am doing, but looking for some tips from Kludge and JCrew.

Anonymous said...

Boy was that word misspelled..undetermininable????

Karen said...

O.K., tip #1, you have to tell people the name (address) of the blog besides just telling people that you have one. But Yeah!! I can't wait to read it.

Correctly spelled or misspelled, I wouldn't know the difference. It all reads the same to me.

Anonymous said...

Okay tip for the day, if you click on my name in the comments section, you will go right to my website. If you don't figure that out, it is desertdwellers.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Lights, Look great!

It's getting harder and harder to find anything but the LED type lights. Your niece finally allowed me last year, for the first time in our marriage, to put up lights. I think she was surprised the house didn't burn down before January...

Whats a boiler? (California humor) Nothing like a couple nights of chaos, terror and cold to bring out the "I AM UPSET!!!" conversation. It's one of the untold joys of home owners they never bring up during the buying process!

Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,
no I don't remember any big lights on our house, but I have a memory of laying in Grampa Bruners spare bedroom with you sleeping next to me looking out at the big lights in the fog on his house. I told myself at that time that I would always remember this night and for some reason I always have.
Love, Robin

Anonymous said...

After reading your comment Robin, I am sitting here at work about to cry. I LOVED sleeping there and seeing the lights through the window. I have a memory of one year, sleeping there for Christmas Eve and we all slept on the floor in front of the fireplace. To this day, my favorite thing is a fire on a cold night. Yes, we have them here! For the past 12 years the big thing here were little white lights on the house. This year, Joe and I went to the hardware store and found the big painted lights. We were both so excited we had to buy 8 boxes and COVER the house in them. I can see them from my bedroom window!!!!!!!

Karen said...

Yeah Robin! I had forgotten about the light's on Bruner's house. I didn't see them as much as you guys because I was gone more often, but I can remember of few moments. When did you start reading the blogs???? This is great!. We can all keep in touch and only have to write one blog each. Yes, you can do the same thing with an email addressed to every one at the same time, but somehow (don't ask me how) this feels different and more fun. Go figure. And Melissa, I stand corrected. How did you know that the blue name in the comment was link? The name was there before you had a blog? So is this one more thing we can all be competitive over?

Anonymous said...

If you notice the names in the comment section, one is blue with a underline and the other is black. The underlined names are the links to their websites if they list it when the comment. I think I found that out one day when I was moving my mouse around and it hit the name...voila!!

It will be fun to keep in touch this way, more interactive...

Anonymous said...

This is Genny. I tried and I tried to sign in with my google account like it said I could but even after I signed in 20 times it wouldn't let me post, hence the anonymous thingy.

Having fun with the boiler lately huh? Sounds just as fun as the greywater in my bathtub except I don't have anyone to yell "I am upset!" at. So I guess you are having more fun.
I decided to not only get a ten dollar tree and decorate it but I'm even going to put up lights on my house while I actually have a house to put them up on. I don't have anyone to do them with, and now that I think about it, I have no ladder either, this might be a problem. Ok I'll figure something out. I'll just go up to the attic and cut a hole in the roof and hang them from ontop of the roof, that works:)

Anonymous said...

Genny, you can use other and put your name in plus your website. I tried looking at your website, but nothing comes up. Did you just start it?

I can't wait to look at it!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Genny's here! Hi Genny-Bean!

Genny said...

Hello all:) Yes I did just start it and I haven't put anything on it yet but I think I'm going to add some stuff tonight.